With Valentine’s Day around the corner, you may be wondering what to do to show a special someone you love (or at least like) them. Below are 7 ways you can approach, ’the gift’ or honor the day.
1. MAKE SOMETHING: There’s nothing like a gift that came through you. It shows you took the time to really think about the other person. I remember one Valentine’s Day when I was dating my husband. He stayed up nights sketching my picture from a photo he had and wrote me a song. Here are some easy creative ideas:
- Make a mixed CD of songs that remind you of the person
- Write and sing a song yourself
- Write a poem
- Create an artwork piece or collage of memories
- Knit them something-a blanket or scarf
- Personalize a tie or boxers with hearts or with a picture of something meaningful. I once ordered my husband a tie of the Parachute Jump in Coney Island.
2. USE FOOD AS A WAY INTO THEIR HEART: I don’t cook but if you are like me you can always buy an assortment of yummy things! Here are some ideas:
- Everyone likes chocolate. Get a great assortment and artfully package it
- Make a romantic homemade meal or take them out somewhere really special
- Make them breakfast in bed with pink champagne and some heart balloons
- Make him all his favorite desserts
- Look up some fun Valentines alcoholic beverages (in pink or red) and make those. Dance the night away to love songs
3. MAKE IT AN ADVENTURE: Doing something out of the ordinary can be memorable and romantic.
- Take them on a surprise road trip or fly somewhere interesting for a long weekend
- Go camping or indoor glamping (with candles and incense)
- Create a personalized scavenger hunt with lots of romantic surprises. Include special places you go together
- Take a balloon ride in the country or a helicopter ride over the city
4. DO SOMETHING RELAXING: Our lives are so busy and stressed these days. Give your sweetie the gift of relaxation and they will thank you and feel loved.
- Get a couples massage or create your own Spa day
- Go to a romantic place like Aire Baths or Spa Castle to be pampered together
- Have a pajama movie day watching romantic movies
5. GIVE A GIFT THAT KEEPS GIVING: Some gifts last a bit longer. Do this and your special someone will think of you many times throughout the month!
- Do IOU’s for a month worth of planned date nights
- Get a monthly membership to something-like beer of the month. For $35 they will send him beer or her flowers every month so you won’t have to remember to get them
- Get some great lingerie you can wear often, a gift for both of you
- Get a gift certificate for 6 dancing classes together
6. HAVE A SEASONAL DATE: Do something in line with winter romance.
- Take a carriage ride through the park with a big blanket and some champagne
- Go ice skating and have hot chocolate and dessert somewhere romantic afterwards.
- Rent a limo zine and stop to look at the lights and skyline. Share some hot chestnuts, chocolate and wine.
7. KEEP IT TRADITIONAL: If your date is more conventional, attempt the tried and true:
- Go to a concert or play that he/she likes
- Get chocolate and roses
- Buy some personalized jewelry or a watch
- Go somewhere fancy for dinner and dancing
And, what if you are currently single and are celebrating Valentine’s Day with a single friend?
You can surprise them and make them feel loved.
- Make them a care package
- Take them to a concert or event
- Give them a card saying why they are lovable with flowers or a gift
- Go out to dinner, desert and drinks together
- See a funny or romantic movie
- Have a Galentine’s Day Party
Have Fun on your day of love!