Most people think the secret to looking ten years younger is spending big bucks on beauty products. Perhaps you believe that in order get hotter with age like the stunning Julianne Moore, you need to use a $300 face cream. Fortunately, this isn’t the case. Seriously, save your money.
These fancy potions won’t do much for your skin on their own. They will surely make a difference, but if you’re a stress ball, eat junk food regularly, and drink too much – yes, alcohol dehydrates the skin and causes premature aging – it doesn’t really matter which miracle serum you’re putting on your skin every night before bed. Truthfully, you can spend as much money as you want on specially formulated anti-aging products, but if you’re not sleeping well, eating well, and living well, your skin will tell the world. Glowing youthful skin involves much more than topical skincare.
Let’s have a look at 10 foods that will keep you looking just as radiant as you were a decade ago.
1. Acai Berries – These delicious berries have not only been proven to stimulate the skin’s ability to produce collagen, they also aide in cell turnover and regeneration, making the complexion appear brighter, fresher, more radiant and above all, younger.
2. Oysters – Not only are oysters delicious, libido-enhancing, and a great delicacy to share with your sexy date, they are rich in zinc, which helps balance hormones and protects the skin against the sun’s harmful rays.
3. Avocados – Rich in the healthy fatty acid, oleic acid, avocados have natural anti-inflammatory properties. What does this mean for your skin? If you struggle with redness or uneven skin tone, avocados can help balance irritated skin while moisturizing it from the inside.
4. Wild Salmon – Omega-3 essential fatty acids are food for your skin. They help your skin cells stay lubricated and hydrated. Since these important fatty acids are not produced in your body, you have to ingest them, either through food or by taking a daily supplement. Increasing omega-3 fatty acids will also reduce inflammation if you are prone to breakouts.
5. Carrots – An excellent source of vitamin A and beta-carotene, carrots will work to keep your skin young, tight and smooth by increasing cell turnover.
6. Squash – Increases collagen production in the skin, which helps stimulate tightness. Since squash has a very high content of bioflavonoids, it can protect you from the sun’s damaging UV rays. In addition, eating squash may help reduce sunspots.
7. Coconut Oil – Many beauty products are filled with chemicals and preservatives, which can lead to early aging. Not only can daily doses of cold pressed virgin coconut oil in your diet promote collagen production, coconut oil can be applied directly on the face to reduce signs of fine lines and dark age spots.
8. Brazil Nuts – Rather than eating cashews or pistachios, why not enjoy two Brazil nuts per day, as these delicious nuts offer loads of selenium and vitamin E. Noted one of the best anti aging foods in the world, a 2008 study published in the American Clinical Journal of Nutrition showed that two Brazil nuts per day surprisingly beat taking selenium in supplement form. In fact, the research group that chose nuts over capsules showed an increase in blood levels of selenium more than the group taking 100 microgram selenium supplement daily.
9. Green Tea – While you’re enjoying all of these tasty foods, don’t forget to sip on antioxidant rich organic green tea. Packed with catechins, green tea will not only give your skin a bright glow, it will boost your energy levels, improve your immune system, and rev up your metabolism. Do you really need more reasons to enjoy a relaxing cuppa tea?
10. Asparagus – One of the top detoxifying vegetables on the planet, asparagus reduces the damaging effects of free radicals. It is rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, glutathione and other antioxidants, which all work to enhance collagen production.
Think of your skin as an indicator of what’s going on in your body. If there are rashes and acne, something is awry. If there are wrinkles and fine lines, maybe it’s time you revamp your grocery list and start eating more of these foods. More and more, I am noticing men and women in their forties, fifties and sixties with glowing, radiant skin – skin that appears healthier and more translucent than that of much younger folks. Now let me ask you. Do you think they are using the most expensive creams or do you think they are taking excellent care of their health and nourishing their cells from the inside? I think you know the answer.